Saturday, July 9, 2011

THE DIRTY TRUTH

I have come to realize that people tend to hide things in those "not so visible" places. You walk in to someone's house, everything LOOKS clean, but then you start looking behind the sofa, in the cabinets and drawers, in the closet, and what you find is the DIRTY TRUTH...

I want to focus on closets for today, so I found a picture that can illustrate my point a bit better. I mean, I'm sure there are worse situations than the one below, but I don't want to scandalize those of us who are sensitive to these images.

So here is a closet. It's a mess. I'm sure that it takes a lot longer for this person to find an outfit every morning since nothing has a place or an order. This also says a lot about the person; disorganized, clueless, doesn't care or love herself, and these just name a few.



If this is what your closet or any other area in your house/work/car represents, so it's time for you to have a reality check and start changing things. Here are a few tips:


  • Develop an organizing system. Each shelf or area should be designated to contain specific items.This means, that everything should have a place and whenever it's out of place, you put it back in place.
  • Thin out unused items. Many closets contain a lot of clothing or apparel items that simply are not used anymore. Sort through the contents of your closet regularly to remove unnecessary items.
  • Add shelving or clear storage containers. Just by adding the appropriate shelving, cluttered closets quickly become manageable again. 
  • Use clear containers, labeled with its contents. This makes it easy to see what is inside each container and helps make the closet more usable.


You don't have to spend a fortune to do this. Most major supermarkets with a "HOME" department, should have shelving and rods to supply your needs. In countries that have the IKEA store, try them. They sell great organizing solutions at low prices. The picture below resembles a well organized closet. Notice that everything has a place and an order in which it is stored. 

Give your closet a life. You won't regret it!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love organized closets. When mine is not as organized as I like, I can't feel at ease, even if it's looking pretty nice. Those places we usually hide things away, like little boxes and corners usually have things we need and are completely unaware we have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believer in keeping everything - including closets, drawers, under the beds and cabinets, organized and tidy. But we get busy and someone puts something in te wrong place and then another item gets put somewhere it doesn't belong and suddenly I'm feeling an internal anxiety and stress. I find when I take the time to maintain the organization of my closets, drawers, etc. I have a greater sense of peace, I am more calm and even more patient because I'm not feeling so stressed out. Seems a small thing, but what does God tell us about being faithful in the small things... ? :o) And remember, it's easier to maintain order than chaos. Try maintaining a closet that has no order to it - Impossible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andreia,

    I agree w/ you that our closet, for lack of a better word, represents our life - in that it should be efficient.

    I have 1 closet and it leaves much to be desired, lackluster functionality.... Can't do anything really as it doesn't belong to me, but to the landlord.

    So yes, cleaning out unused items and maintaining one's closet are indicative of good structure.

    Obrigada!

    LillyEV

    P.S. It was nice seeing you at the Vigil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the closet or wardrobe in this situation, it is very difficult to find something good to use. The disorganization is something appalling! Sorry my English is not the good, rsrsrsrsrs

    Andréia Braga

    ReplyDelete